A creative director once said, “You’re the only writer I’ve ever met who wants fewer words.” It’s true. The world is a busy place; my goal is to capture your attention, not overstay my welcome, and make the message linger.
- McGraw-Hill Education. (Full-time senior copywriter, 2016 - present).
- Nationwide. (Contractor, 2013). Covered maternity leave of a senior copywriter. Ensured the the progress on all of her projects progressed without issue.
- Bath & Body Works. (Contractor, 2013). Wrote or contributed to many brainstorm sessions for social media posts (Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook). Wrote copy for in-store signage, direct mail and corporate presentations.
- Victoria's Secret. (Contractor, 2010). Same as above.
- OCCRRA. (Full-time communications coordinator, 2010 - 2012). Worked directly with an agency on a brand refresh. Created all copy for new collateral (including website, brochures, newsletters, and trade show signage).
- McGraw-Hill Education (Contractor, 2012 - 2016). More than 400 articles about current events websites targeted to high school social studies classrooms.
- Columbus Monthly. (Regular contributor since 2015). Mostly arts/culture.
- (614) Magazine. (Regular contributor, 2009 - 2012. Mostly theater/film.
- McGraw-Hill Education (2016 - present).
- Abbott Nutrition (2016). AMA style.
- OSU Medical Center (2015). AP style.
- Epsilon Ryan (2015). Familiarity with various styles—AP, Chicago, APA, AMA. Proofed wide variety of materials—print ads, newsletters, emails, restaurant menus and promotional pieces.
- Chase (2014). Part of a 40-person writing team tasked with writing and editing existing strategic policies and procedures to reflect new federal banking regulations.
- "Brother Oscar" published in the Louisville Review, Spring 2008.
- "Random Acts of Gardening" published in the Santa Clara Review, Fall 2007.
- "Rec Room Revolution" published in the First Person column of the Columbus Dispatch.
- A series of personal essays performed on stage at the Vanderelli Room, 2017.
Monologues, sketch comedy, and short plays performed around Columbus, Ohio. Recent full-length play made the finalist round of four national contests.
Catwoman, Dynamite Magazine, Gilda Radner, Wile E. Coyote, Paul Simon, Carol Burnett, the Oscars, Mary Richards, MTV, the Outsiders, Joan Rivers, Meryl Streep, Clarice Starling, Bonnie Raitt, Thelma & Louise, Talking Heads, CBS Sunday Morning, Mike Nichols, Vanity Fair, Merchant/Ivory, Jane Campion, Lisa Simpson, Angels in America, Bob Dylan, Barbara Kingsolver, Ang Lee, Aretha Franklin, Amelie, Gay Talese, Chrissie Hynde, Tina Fey, Peggy Olson, James Brown, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, the Little Foxes.
My goal was not simply to do well, or hold my own. It was to make a mark.
— PATTI SMITH