A creative director once said, “You’re the only writer I’ve ever met who wants fewer words.” It’s true. The world is a busy place; my goal is to capture your attention, not overstay my welcome, and make the message linger.
- McGraw-Hill Education (Full-time senior copywriter, 2016 to present). Concept, write, copyedit, and proof marketing materials for all MHE products.
- Nationwide (Contractor, fall 2013). Concepted, wrote, and edited marketing collateral for retirement products.
- Bath & Body Works (Contractor, spring 2013). Wrote and brainstormed social media posts (Twitter, Pinterest, and Facebook). Wrote copy for in-store signage and direct mail pieces.
- Victoria's Secret. (Contractor, summer 2010). Same as above.
- OCCRRA. (Full-time communications coordinator, 2010 to 2012). Collaborated with outside agency on brand refresh. Created all copy for new collateral, including website, brochures, newsletters, and trade show signage.
- McGraw-Hill Education (Contractor, 2012 - 2016). More than 400 current events articles (250-500 words) for several social studies websites.
- Columbus Monthly. (Regular contributor since 2015). Mostly arts/culture.
- (614) Magazine. (Regular contributor, 2009 - 2012. Mostly theater/film.
- McGraw-Hill Education (2016 - present). Multiple styles, mostly AP.
- Abbott Nutrition (2016). AMA style. Dedicated proofer for high-traffic marketing department. Jargon-heavy, legal disclaimers on most pieces.
- OSU Medical Center (2015). AP style. Wide range of communications.
- Epsilon Ryan (2015). AP. Dedicated proofer for high-traffic agency. Mostly restaurant menus and promotional pieces.
- Chase (2014). Drafted strategic policies and procedures to reflect new federal banking regulations.
- "Brother Oscar," Louisville Review, Spring 2008.
- "Random Acts of Gardening," Santa Clara Review, Fall 2007.
- "Rec Room Revolution," First Person column of the Columbus Dispatch.
- A series of personal essays performed on stage at the Vanderelli Room, 2017.
Monologues, sketch comedy, and short plays performed around Columbus, Ohio. Recent full-length play made the finalist round of four national contests.
Catwoman, Dynamite Magazine, Gilda Radner, Wile E. Coyote, Paul Simon, Carol Burnett, the Oscars, Mary Richards, MTV, the Outsiders, Joan Rivers, Meryl Streep, Clarice Starling, Bonnie Raitt, Thelma & Louise, Talking Heads, CBS Sunday Morning, Mike Nichols, Vanity Fair, Merchant/Ivory, Jane Campion, Lisa Simpson, Angels in America, Bob Dylan, Barbara Kingsolver, Ang Lee, Aretha Franklin, Amelie, Gay Talese, Chrissie Hynde, Tina Fey, Peggy Olson, James Brown, Patti Smith, Lucinda Williams, Bruce Springsteen, Joni Mitchell, the Little Foxes.
My goal was not simply to do well, or hold my own. It was to make a mark.
— PATTI SMITH